Top 25 Questions to Ask Your Pet Insurance Provider
Sifting through the legal jargon of any company can be difficult, but when it comes to your pet, the last thing you want to worry about is the legality of how their health will be handled. To help figure out the legal jargon and rules listed by your pet insurance provider, epetsure is offering a checklist of 25 questions to ask before, or even after, signing on the dotted line.
- Is your company licensed in your state, and if so, which policies are available?
- Does the company have a good reputation? What are some recent reviews left by customers, the Better Business Bureau, and other organizations?
- Are the policies and information provided easy to understand? Are the people you talk to helpful and knowledgeable?
- Does the company offer customer service at reasonable hours?
- Can you choose any veterinarian you want?
- How often do premiums increase and by how much have they increased over the last few years?
- How does the age of your pet affect your premium?
- Are there any reasons you wouldn’t be able to renew your policy?
- Is there any type of additional coverage or co-insurance required by your chosen policy?
- Are there any limits associated with a “usual and customary charges” clause, and how are those limits determined?
- Are there limitations to the kinds of care covered? Are hereditary and congenital diseases, bilateral conditions, and dental care covered?
- What are the time limits on excluding pre-existing conditions?
- Does the company offer any wellness or preventative care for pets?
- Can you choose a deductible or change it from year to year? Is it annual or applied with each medical incident?
- What are the waiting periods before coverage begins?
- Does the company have a maximum age for enrollment?
- Are there other limits, and if so, are they per incident, per year, per lifetime, or per body system?
- Is there a requirement for a physical examination for enrollment or renewal?
- What is the speed of which claims are paid and processed?
- Are there billing fees or discounts associated with your plan?
- Is there a multi-pet discount?
- Does the plan include boarding and travel pet insurance coverage?
- What is the process for filing a claim and can it be done online?
- Does the plan cover holistic/alternative therapies? What about behavioral therapies?
- Are prescription medications covered?
Choosing a pet insurance provider and the right plan for you and your pet can be a tiresome and daunting task. That’s why epetsure provides a comprehensive guide for pet parents. Simply choose pet insurance for dogs or pet insurance for cats and then select the plan that’s right for you, your pet, and your budget.
Plans range in price from $5 a month for an Accident Only plan for cats, up to $105 a month for dogs, with the most recommended plans by epetsure in the $10 – $40 range. Whichever plan you choose, the most important thing is that you make the right decision for your pet, and choose to invest in pet insurance. Not only will it give you peace of mind, but more than likely, it will one day save your pet. For more information, we invite you to visit our glossary, our FAQs, or check out pet insurance 101 to get the scoop on everything pet insurance.